EQUINE NUTRITION EDUCATION
Courses, guest lectures, videos and articles! Want to learn from an unbiased source? Here's how...
- Self Guided Equine Nutrition Practice Course + Consult
- Full length equine nutrition course
- Monthly guest lectures (free to OCEN Community Members)
- Guest lecture library (available to OCEN Community Members ONLY)
- Case study library (available to OCEN Community Members ONLY)
- Free weekly articles
- Low Carb Horse Hay Videos
- (NEW) Free Mule Monday Q&A
GUEST LECTURES & COURSE DATES
Register for live or recorded events by clicking Learn More below. Guest lecture registrants automatically receive the recording. OCEN Community, Veterinary, and Farm Plan Members get FREE access to all live guest lectures and recordings!
- Tue, Dec 05Lectures + Worksheets Via EmailDec 05, 2023, 1:00 AM – Dec 28, 2023, 1:00 AMLectures + Worksheets Via EmailIf you're feeling overwhelmed by the quantity of equine nutrition products and opinions out there then this course is for you! In five lectures Natalie teaches equestrians how to better balance horse diets without lengthy math problems or spending a fortune. Invest NOW in your feeding future!
- Wed, Dec 06Zoom Webinar"The equine gut microbiome: where we are, what it means, and where we need to go" with Dr. Jennifer MacNicolDec 06, 2023, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM MSTZoom WebinarOCEN is going international with it's first Canadian PhD equine researcher, Jennifer MacNicol of University of Guelph. You will be blown away by this award winning researcher and her passion for the equine microbiome. She will discuss what we REALLY know about the GI tract and how to influence it.
- Wed, Feb 07Zoom Webinar"Selenium's Role in Equine Performance at a Cellular Level" with Sarah White-Spring, PhD of Texas A&M UniversityFeb 07, 2024, 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM MSTZoom WebinarYou know that selenium is important to horse health, but WHY? Learn about selenium's role in equine health from a leading and award winning researcher from Texas A&M University, Dr. Sarah White-Springer. Dr. White is an extremely impressive educator, researcher and equestrian. Learn from the best.
FULL LENGTH EQUINE NUTRITION COURSE
"Stop Guessing & Start Gloating: How to Choose the Right Feeds and Supplements for Your Horse"
If you're feeling overwhelmed by the quantity of equine nutrition products and opinions out there then this course is for you! In five lectures Natalie teaches equestrians how to better balance equine diets without lengthy math problems or spending a fortune. Invest NOW in your feeding future!
*Accredited through USDF University for 3 credits.
WHAT PEOPLE SAY
Katie Anne Juarez
OSU College of Vet Med
I just wanted to thank you for your excellent presentation at the vet school. I have gotten a lot of feedback and everyone LOVED your talk! I’ve been hearing comments about how it was immediately practical/useful and that it helped put other nutrition information in perspective for them. Everyone also appreciated how neatly you broke the topic down in a way that makes it easy to think through quickly and very client friendly to explain.
"I have thoroughly enjoyed the OCEN Full Length course! Natalie has an incredible way of explaining things, so that you not only understand, but stay interested and are sad when the class is over for the night. She has fact based knowledge, not just testimonials, and a fair and unbiased approach to presenting her material. I highly, highly recommend this course!"
Past Events- Must Purchase a Membership to Access Recordings
- Membership Offer"How Feeding Trace Minerals to Horses Affects their Immune Status" with Dr. Connie Larson from ZinproWed, Dec 07Online Zoom WebinarDec 07, 2022, 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM MSTOnline Zoom WebinarDec 07, 2022, 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM MSTOnline Zoom WebinarDr. Connie Larson's presentation on trace mineral status in horses rocked my world early in my career! So, as you can imagine, I was pretty excited to include her in the Fall Guest Lecture series all about equine immunity. Read below for details on topics covered in this presentation!
- Membership OfferTue, Nov 08Online Zoom WebinarNov 08, 2022, 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM MSTOnline Zoom WebinarNov 08, 2022, 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM MSTOnline Zoom WebinarWhen I went in search of an equine immunologist, I wanted EXACTLY what Dr. Cherie Pucheu-Haston could offer! I feel very lucky to have her on my OCEN Fall Guest Lecture list, because there are a LOT of horses suffering with allergies. Let's learn from a leading researcher, shall we?
- Membership OfferWed, Oct 12Online Zoom WebinarOct 12, 2022, 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM MDTOnline Zoom WebinarOct 12, 2022, 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM MDTOnline Zoom WebinarWhen I first started asking around for a great equine immunologist to speak, Dr. Adams's name came up over and over again! You don't want to miss this unique opportunity to learn from a busy, successful researcher about the effects of aging and Cushings Disease on the equine immune system.
- Membership OfferWed, Sep 07Online Zoom WebinarSep 07, 2022, 6:00 PM – 7:15 PM MDTOnline Zoom WebinarSep 07, 2022, 6:00 PM – 7:15 PM MDTOnline Zoom WebinarOCEN's Fall 2022 lecture series is all things IMMUNITY, and we're kicking it off with a bang! Dr. Carner will discuss immune system anatomy, how we manipulate it, interactions with the digestive system, and more! We'll be setting the foundation for an entire season of guest lectures!
- "How Much Foo in FOO FOO Dust?" by Dr. Randel Raub, Director of Research and Nutrition for the Kent Nutrition GroupWed, Jun 01Live Webinar and RecordingJun 01, 2022, 6:00 PM – 7:15 PM MDTLive Webinar and RecordingJun 01, 2022, 6:00 PM – 7:15 PM MDTLive Webinar and RecordingDr. Randel Raub, a veteran of the private and public equine nutrition sectors, has a fun and engaging presentation about the safety and efficacy of the feed and supplement products that you pay so much for each month! This is a KNOWLEDGE IS POWER presentation!
- "Taming the Supplement Craze: Red Flags, Green Flags, & Questions You Should Ask" with Bill Bookout, President of NASCWed, May 11Live & Recorded WebinarMay 11, 2022, 6:00 PM – 7:15 PM MDTLive & Recorded WebinarMay 11, 2022, 6:00 PM – 7:15 PM MDTLive & Recorded WebinarHow can you be certain that the supplements you feed actually work? How are we protected as consumers and equestrians from the many ways in which supplements can be unsafe? Learn more from the President of the only third party regulator doing this work for your horses. Knowledge is power!
- Membership OfferThu, Apr 14Zoom WebinarApr 14, 2022, 6:00 PM – 7:15 PM MDTZoom Webinar
- Membership OfferWed, Mar 09Zoom WebinarMar 09, 2022, 6:00 PM – 7:15 PM MSTZoom Webinar
- Membership OfferWed, Feb 09Zoom WebinarFeb 09, 2022, 5:00 PM – 6:15 PM MSTZoom WebinarFeb 09, 2022, 5:00 PM – 6:15 PM MSTZoom WebinarWhat does it mean to feed horses "naturally"? Some horses continue to be fed as “nature-intended” with 24/7 access to fresh pasture and room to roam, but what about the rest? Learn from a long time equine nutritionist and researcher what "Natural" means to her and the science behind it.
- Membership OfferWed, Jan 12Zoom WebinarJan 12, 2022, 6:00 PM – 7:15 PMZoom WebinarJan 12, 2022, 6:00 PM – 7:15 PMZoom Webinar"No Hoof, No Horse", right? So, the old saying goes, and this could not be more true today. Many equine lamenesses originate in the hoof, so it's an important structure to know and understand. Learn about the anatomy and how to prevent lameness with Dr. Karen Blake of Bend Equine!
- Membership OfferWed, Dec 08Zoom WebinarDec 08, 2021, 12:00 PM – 1:00 PMZoom WebinarDec 08, 2021, 12:00 PM – 1:00 PMZoom WebinarHaynets are one of the few tools that horse owners have to manage equine diseases related to obesity and carb sensitivity, but they are often misunderstood and troublesome to implement. Learn HOW best to use haynets and the inherent dangers with Dr. Trinette Jones of Texas A&M!
- Membership OfferThu, Nov 18Zoom WebinarNov 18, 2021, 6:00 PM – 7:15 PMZoom WebinarNov 18, 2021, 6:00 PM – 7:15 PMZoom WebinarAnatomy, physiology, and types of laminitis from Hannah Galantino-Homer, VMD-PhD and her Galantino-Homer Laminitis Laboratory! How are the causes of laminitis different and how are they the same? How do we study it!?! All proceeds will go to laminitis research at New Bolton Center @ PennVet!
- Membership OfferWed, Nov 03Zoom WebinarNov 03, 2021, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PMZoom Webinar
- Membership OfferWed, Jun 16Zoom WebinarJun 16, 2021, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PMZoom WebinarJun 16, 2021, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PMZoom WebinarDr. Carey Williams is a multi-award winning equine extension agent from Rutgers University. Her OCEN presentation in 2020 was so well received, that I've asked her back! This broad-sweeping lecture on equine supplements is a MUST HEAR for anyone feeding more than hay!
- Membership OfferWed, May 12Zoom WebinarMay 12, 2021, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PMZoom Webinar
- Membership OfferWed, Apr 14Zoom WebinarApr 14, 2021, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PMZoom Webinar
- Membership OfferWed, Mar 10Zoom WebinarMar 10, 2021, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PMZoom WebinarMar 10, 2021, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PMZoom WebinarLearn about managing paddocks to keep horses healthy, mud-free and mentally stimulated. Learn about enrichment opportunities such as track paddocks, slow-feeders, horse toys, plus get ideas for designing a small-scale a trail course. Keep confinement areas interesting for you and your horses!
- Membership Offer"Understanding the Unique Universe That Is Your Horse's Gut" with Dr. Tania Cubitt of Performance Horse NutritionWed, Feb 17Zoom WebinarFeb 17, 2021, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PMZoom WebinarFeb 17, 2021, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PMZoom WebinarYour horse's micobiome is unique! How do you nurture it best with forage, feeds and supplements? PhD nutritionist, Dr. Tania Cubitt, will teach us how to safeguard your horse's gut health with solution driven tips in OCEN's spring guest lecture series. This is going to be GOOD!
Subscribe to OCEN, LLC website below and receive notifications when new, mind bending, informative and fun articles are available.
VIDEOS (SUBSCRIPTION REQUIRED)
Low Carb Horse Hay Project videos are available to OCEN Community Members.
Carbs? Sugar? Starch? NSC, WSC, ESC? The jargon of carbohydrates is massively confusing. Understand the difference between these numbers in simple, meaningful terms and know what to look for when shopping for low carb horse hay options.
RENT TO VIEW POPULAR OCEN GUEST LECTURES
OCEN Community, Farm and Veterinary Members get access to ALL guest lecture recordings, but if there is just one that you are interested in, you can click below to rent the video for 72 hours.